Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 30 mins Total Time: 45 minutes Yield: 7 cakes
1 14.75 ounce can wild caught salmon
1 cup cooked sweet potato (canned with no syrup is ok to use)
1 whole egg
1⁄2 cup almond flour
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
2 scallions sliced thin, tops and booms, roots removed
2 teaspoons dried dill
1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee) or coconut oil, melted
- If baking immediately, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. If not, SEE NOTE*
- Line a small sheet tray with parchment paper.
- Drain liquid from can of salmon and discard liquid. Pick out bones and skin and discard. Take remaining salmon, break into pieces and place in a medium bowl.
- Add all other ingredients except butter or coconut oil.
- Mix and form into seven equal patties about 1” thick.
- Butter or oil parchment paper and set salmon cakes on paper. If freezing, cover and freeze.
- If baking, place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- If freezing, cover and freeze.
- Flip and cook for ten minutes more.
- If using frozen salmon cakes, they can be baked frozen or thawed. (If baking frozen, you will need to adjust cooking time, probably adding 10 minutes or more).
- Serve with homemade, simple tartar sauce** and fresh lemon.
*Note: These can be made ahead and frozen and baked frozen if desired.
**Mix healthy “mayo” (homemade or a brand like Primal Kitchen, for example), chopped pickles with some fresh dill weed to taste.