This delicious soup is the perfect meal when you want something warm and comforting that doesn’t feel too heavy. As an added bonus, it calls for leftover or pre-cooked chicken for a shorter cooking time that gets this recipe done in under 30 minutes.
Lemons are a great source of vitamin C, which is best known for its immune benefits but also plays a major role in collagen synthesis, hormone production, and iron absorption.
It’s even healthier with the addition of cauliflower rice. It’s high in vitamins C, K, and B6 and it also contains several antioxidants, which may reduce the risk of certain kinds of cancers. When you use a variety of real ingredients like this, food truly is medicine.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 small zucchini, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, plus extra for garnish
- 4 cups pulled leftover cooked chicken, skinless
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 pasture-raised egg yolks*
- 3 large lemons, juiced (about ⅓ cup)
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Melt the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the shallots, garlic, and salt. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Add the grated zucchini and cook for another minute until softened.
- Add the thyme, chicken, and broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the egg yolk in a bowl and the lemon juice in a separate bowl. Make sure that one of the bowls is large enough to add some liquid from the hot broth to temper the eggs later. (Tip: You can save the egg whites in the refrigerator to use for an omelet the next day!)
- Once the broth has simmered for 10 minutes, remove the lid and reduce the heat to low. Whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice together in the larger bowl. Then slowly pour in one ladle of the hot broth while whisking to avoid clumping.
- Pour the egg and lemon mixture into the pot of soup while stirring, then add the cauliflower rice.
- Remove from heat and add the black pepper. Serve immediately with extra lemon wedges and garnish with thyme leaves – enjoy!