This salad is simple, wholesome, and easy to make for all the eaters in your family.
- 1 avocado, halved
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and discarded, leaves coarsely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- Scoop the flesh from one of the avocado halves out of its skin and put in a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and mash everything together. Add the coarsely chopped kale leaves and massage them by hand with the avocado mash until the kale becomes tender. Place the kale-avocado mash on a serving plate.
- Remove the flesh of the remaining avocado half from its skin and chop into bite-size chunks. Place in the bowl that contained the kale, and add the chickpeas.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and the pepper. Drizzle over the chickpeas and avocado and toss to combine. Pile on top of the kale-avocado mash, and top with the roasted pumpkin seeds.
- Sunflower seeds are just as delicious in place of roasted pumpkin seeds.
- To make it with an added protein, try roasted chicken or tofu, and double the dressing recipe to allow enough to coat everything (you may not use it all).